The UN Geneva Office is housed in the “Palais des Nations” which stands in the Ariana Park overlooking Lake Geneva and the Alps. The Palais was inaugurated in 1936 and is currently the host of about 300 conferences a year attended by some 25’000 delegates from around the world. A new wing was added in 1973 to allow for its growing importance as an international meeting place. The Office offers administrative support, conference facilities and manages the UN site and properties. Ambassadors heading some 140 national permanent missions are accredited to the Geneva Office, as are many observer missions and intergovernmental organisations. The Palais has a staff of 3’500 international civil servants and serves as Geneva’s international press centre, with some 200 accredited print, radio and television correspondents.