Since the Bank's foundation in 1796, the Partners of Lombard Odier Darier Hentsch & Cie have been involved in numerous development projects, be they social, economic, educational, cultural or humanitarian, in Geneva and Switzerland. One of the first institutions to provide trade financing and commission-based transactions in Geneva in 1830, the Bank later became involved in financing Swiss railroads, then in creating insurance companies and savings banks. It was also one of the pioneers in European private banking; it was co-founder of the Swiss National Bank in 1907, created mutual funds in 1951 and participated in the launch of the Swiss Electronic Stock Exchange in 1991. The Group also stands out for its active involvement in industry funds and for being one of the first banks to computerize its operations. In July, 2002, the Banks Lombard Odier & Cie and Darier Hentsch & Cie merged to become one of the most important banks in Europe and in the world.